About One DNP

I earned my "terminal practice" degree in nursing from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in a journey of excitement and challenge. It inspired me to advocate for an all encompassing clinical credential rather than continuing the hodgepodge of nonsensical initials. I hope these entries will provide entertainment and insight into the Doctor of Nursing Practice experience, which will soon be the entry standard for all advanced practice nurses.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Capstone Update (with life thrown in)

Topping out at nearly 7236 words, 53 pages, and more tables and figures than I want to reflect on,  the culmination of nearly two years of work, Social Networking and Mental Health Providers:  Practice Trends and Perspectives to Shape Interdisciplinary Guidelines  has been submitted for subjugation to the red pen. Hallelujah!

Now, who wants to publish it?

For that matter, who want to come along for some travel and networking? In the past two weeks I had the opportunity to hob-knob with writers from the ASJA and entertain guests for Derby Week. Monday I am taking off for Las Vegas to attend the Contemporary Forums #Psych12 conference. The psychopharmacology units will be especially useful as I prepare for my ANCC psych-nurse practitioner boards. Graduation in Memphis comes the following week, then in June I will be attending the Army Medical Experience in San Antonio as he APNAs representative. For some reason I agreed to do a tandem jump with the Golden Knights which is perhaps a sign I need my dosage checked.

In the midst of all this fun come the job hunt and quandary over how best to use my new found genius. One one hand, I can continue to do what I have been doing - adjunct teaching and running a private practice 3-4 days per week.  The freedom is phenomenal and I love the variety of practice with teaching. Option two is to take up teaching on a full time basis with practice taking on more of a part time role. Benefits include . . . well, benefits, loan repayment, and the collaborative opportunities for research and speaking which do not come as a solo-provider. Option three is to focus on intensive clinical experience working with the VA (application submitted) while maintaining my practice on a part time basis. The advantage here is to hone my clinical skills with a population I enjoy working with in an area that is finally getting the funding it requires, and possibly the opportunity to ingrate acupuncture with PTSD treatment.

Any decision is a good decision and I will be able to apply the leadership skill I have learned throughout he DNP program.   Note that every scenario includes an element of private practice. I realized long ago I do not thrive in a 9-to-5-one-job environment.

My routine is variety. Except for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment