About One DNP

I earned my "terminal practice" degree in nursing from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in a journey of excitement and challenge. It inspired me to advocate for an all encompassing clinical credential rather than continuing the hodgepodge of nonsensical initials. I hope these entries will provide entertainment and insight into the Doctor of Nursing Practice experience, which will soon be the entry standard for all advanced practice nurses.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Orientation Week: Day Three

Having a 7am class on the schedule felt like hazing, however it was Interview and Counseling so at least I enjoyed it. We discussed reflective practice and methods to look back on interactions and improve them. It is interesting how vividly I remember the times I screwed up, especially when I first started as a nurse. Assumptions about how the patient perceives you can lead to postures, humor, or subjects that the patient finds offensive resulting in unforeseen escalations.

Biostatistics was up next, and what an amazing relief. From the syllabus, it looked like this was a rehash of the social stats class I took last year which is both good and bad. Apparently the teacher before him was a beast, but this guy is hilarious. He wants to take the scary out of statistics, but primarily, "the most important thing is by the end of the course, you love me." I am going to adapt a lot of his material if I get to teach a class at Bellarmine this year. When I found out he used to be an actor, it made sense that his style seemed similar to the way I instruct.

Last class of the day was Philosophy of Science. I admit that I have serious math envy and had already read a good chunk of Hawking before class. I would have loved to have been a philosopher if there was anyway to pay the mortgage by sitting around and thinking all day! I started working on the first essay assignment discussing space-time and defining several terms; if I actually submit what I think I am going to submit, my instructor is going to think I am either a real thinker, an idiot, or a wack-job.

No comments:

Post a Comment