About One DNP

I earned my "terminal practice" degree in nursing from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in a journey of excitement and challenge. It inspired me to advocate for an all encompassing clinical credential rather than continuing the hodgepodge of nonsensical initials. I hope these entries will provide entertainment and insight into the Doctor of Nursing Practice experience, which will soon be the entry standard for all advanced practice nurses.

Friday, August 27, 2010

The Motherload

This was the first week where all of the classes had readings and a post, test, or quiz due. Yaoza! Here is a rundown of the assignments so those reading can get an idea of what 14-credit-hours in a DNP program wants from your brain:

Epidemiology:
Chapters five, six, and eighteen - about 70 pages
Additional readings (ACS and CDC reports - another 30 pages)
About 30 homework questions
Blackboard discussion
Quiz (4-hour time limit)

Biological Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders
Stahl chapters one through four - 122 pages
Pliska chapter seven - 20 pages
Discussion board posts on chapter reading

BioStatistics
2 chapters - 60 pages
Webcasts (a little over an hour)
Submit a test question that covers descriptive statistics
Complete review questions
Test 1

Interviewing and Counseling
Chapter three - 20 pages
Descriptive Log

Philosophy of Science
Read "A Briefer History of Time"
Chapter 1
Essay quiz submission

And this week was my first, and hopefully only, official goof. In his mercy. my bioethics teacher let me turn in my question a day late because I neglected to see Friday, not Sunday was the due date. I was not the only culprit and he sent our an email that sufficiently chastised me to the point where I already have the assignment for next week completed. The great news is, I got 100 on my test - doing the review questions does pay off . . .

. . . unlike in epidemiology where I bombed the quiz and lowered my grade to a B. Lovely. Next week is the midterm and there is supposed to be 10 points extra credit. I imagine the credit will be as impossible to get as her normal test questions. I would not mind doing so badly if I could understand the rational for asking some of the questions (seriously, 20% of it came from the book and a bunch had unnecessary word-play that had nothing to do with understanding the material . . . and having taken MSN board exams, those questions do test you understanding, not your test-taking ability!) and get an explanation of the answers. Alas, it is sink or swim. If I ever needed validation I am not cut out for public health, it was this week.

And yes, I am behind on the reading. This week has been nuts in many ways and I have come to the realization I have to budget in more study time and take less patients. Thankfully I have all Labor Day to labor away and catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment