About One DNP

I earned my "terminal practice" degree in nursing from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in a journey of excitement and challenge. It inspired me to advocate for an all encompassing clinical credential rather than continuing the hodgepodge of nonsensical initials. I hope these entries will provide entertainment and insight into the Doctor of Nursing Practice experience, which will soon be the entry standard for all advanced practice nurses.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Semester's End!

So here is the best part of each course from semester one - 4.0 GPA baby!!!:

Epidemiology
Other than having it over, the best part of this class was confirming my suspicion with absolute conviction that I am not suited for a career in public health.

Biostatistics
This class forced me to use Endnote, something I may have avoided because I had my own "system" before. Well, my system is nothing in comparison to this program which automatically searches and stores references for current and later use, formats your paper into whatever writing style you need, and uses a "cite-while-you-write" to save a bunch of time when pulling an all nighter to finish your paper. Not that I ever did that, of course!

Biological Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders
Finding out Stahl's
dimensional approach to diagnosis is very similar to the Chinese concept of Yi Bing Tong Zhi, Tong Bing Yi Zhi or Same Disease, Different Treatment. Different Disease, Same Treatment.
I know so much more than I did at the beginning of the course yet somehow feel dumber than I ever considered I could be - the brain is not for lightweights!

Interviewing and Counseling
Having one of my responses to a theoretical male patient with relationship control issues from the final posted anonymously in class as an exemplary reply to make in the real world - "
You mourn the past and feel hopeless about the future, and this stagnant cycle of thought makes it difficult for you to set goals and find enjoyment in your daily life.
" Pretty cool to impress not only my professors, but my peers!

Philosophy of Science
From my professor: "I enjoyed reading your paper...this was a great statement 'If the logical positivist is the individual brain, the Whitehead’s metaphysical philosophy is the collective mind'. You are a thinker!" - that was one of the best compliments of my life!

But can I top this semester? Stay tuned for part two of year one and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment