About One DNP

I earned my "terminal practice" degree in nursing from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in a journey of excitement and challenge. It inspired me to advocate for an all encompassing clinical credential rather than continuing the hodgepodge of nonsensical initials. I hope these entries will provide entertainment and insight into the Doctor of Nursing Practice experience, which will soon be the entry standard for all advanced practice nurses.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Authorizations and Dispositions

Getting Certified
I received my ANCC authorization to test. This is my last board exam ever, ever, ever. That is my official plan. I have less than a month to prepare and am using a combination of test preparation tools from both nursing and medicine. While the diagnostic and pharmacological facts remain consistent across disciplines, the differences in practice ideologies are immediatly evident just from the areas of focus and types of questions presented.

The psychiatric reviews by Kaplan and Saddock are heavy on etiology and pathology of the system with precision diagnostic differentials. The "why" of the diseases are given the greatest attention, as are the historical contexts of various disorders. Questions are posed first with rational presented later.  Well care and prevention are not highlighted though they are addressed in some sections.

The nurse practitioner reviews by the ANCC focus on manifestations of disorders in the individual, the therapeutic alliance, and holistic factors of treatment adherence and compliance.  The "how" of the diseases and interventions are given the greatest attention. Introduction to concepts are given first and questions later.  Neural pathways and biochemical aspects of disease and treatment are given some attention, but are not in-depth.

What it boils down to is what it always seems to boil down to: Treat the disease with medicine. Treat the person with nursing.

Potato. Potato.

Getting Employed
Of the three positions I applied for, I received one disposition letter informing me they chose someone else, than a notification letter for the same position stating I was still in the running. I received another notification letter for a different position informing me that I was qualified, followed by a disposition letter stating they hired another candidate. No word yet on the third position, but I should hear something one way or the other next week once the announcement closes.

While the clock ticks, I am working on my marketing-for-employment-to-do list. This includes exciting such as renewing several licenses and certifications, updating all of my online profiles, getting published by a journal that that allows a high-word count with several tables and figures without charging a reviewer fee, investigating the postings from a number of locum companies that have me on their list, and rebranding my private practice identity for my new expansion of scope.

Getting Zen
My July mantra: I will be exactly where I need to be, doing what I am supposed to be doing.




No comments:

Post a Comment