About One DNP

I earned my "terminal practice" degree in nursing from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in a journey of excitement and challenge. It inspired me to advocate for an all encompassing clinical credential rather than continuing the hodgepodge of nonsensical initials. I hope these entries will provide entertainment and insight into the Doctor of Nursing Practice experience, which will soon be the entry standard for all advanced practice nurses.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Two for Tuesday

Morning Session


I woke up early this morning for a much needed workout and SVU reruns. The morning starts with a call to AAA, once again validating my 12-years of membership dues, and the discovery I can get $30 off my nightly hotel rate since I am at UT. Fabulous!

Our only class today was recapping and sharing some stories on our therapy experiences this semester. It solidified my love for the self-pay business model. No federal money means no federal rules . . . other than the usual ones we all have to abide by.

Afternoon Delights
Because I live by the notion that everywhere is Vegas if you have the right attitude, I have an amazing low back/hip massage, reflexology, and a facial at Rachel's Salon and Spa. As usual, I am given the royal treatment by both my therapist and the receptionist with promises to return on the next trip in August. I top the afternoon off with some awesome BBQ duck nachos and a drinkable Bulleit Bourbon Sidecar from Flight ("we don't have a cocktail menu, but we have a full bar" is my new sign to order Makers on the rocks).


Liquid Therapy
A group of us from class decide to end the semester in the traditional nursing fashion: drowning martinis, forking dessert, and discussing various clinical experiences involving genitalia.

We started out at Huey's - the hundreds of toothpicks shot in the ceiling via straw left me reasonably certain I was about to hear he "we have a full bar" line in answer to my cocktail menu questions. I was right. We decide to take a walk over to the sushi/Thai resturant after everyone fails in their attempt to spit hard enough to add to the decor.

Our new haunt, Bankock Ally, is appropriately named for the direction of the conversation. In the interest of professional courtesy and confidentiality, I will refrain from specifics. Sufficed to say, if you are a nurse you know what we talked about. If you are not a nurse, we discussed how awesome it is to work for cute doctors and be angels of mercy. And what serendipitous fortune! We are presented with the Two for Tuesday menu and toast to the fruits of our semester's labor. And to all a good night!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment